Google Chrome OS Based Tablet
By alex February 2nd, 2010
Even though buzz around tablet PCs existed, the blogosphere didn’t really take notice until Apple announced the iPad last week. Now that the iPad is on everyone’s mind, the competition is looking at ways to steal some of the thunder. Never one to sit back and watch, Google Chrome’s designer, Glen Murphy, posted UI concept images on Google’s official Chromium site to highlight how the potential Google platform would work on a tablet surface.
As with Android, we can confidently guess that there will be multiple Google branded “Tablets”.
Within the images you will notice the following key elements:
- Keyboard interaction with the screen; anchored, split, attached to focus.
- Launchers as an overlay, providing touch or search as means to access web sites.
- Contextual actions triggered via dwell.
- Zooming UI for multiple tabs
- Tabs presented along the side of the screen (see Side tabs)
- Creating multiple browsers on screen using a launcher
From a marketing and media buying mindset, the tablet will be a very interesting medium to watch. Unlike the iPhone which was so ahead of the mobile vertical, owning the tablet market won’t be as easy – or penetrable. AD:60 will be watching closely to see how consumers begin to adopt this new medium.